Thursday, December 28, 2006

Momentum.

Gosh, it's funny. Plotting new things to do at events in the upcoming year makes things more sparkly to look forward to! I was considering the conversation posted below and contemplating my SCA universe lately. Things Are Done Differently in Caid, more so than anywhere I've ever lived, and part of me has mourned that loss. It has made me more cynical, crass, short tempered, and less giving than anywhere else I've lived. Why? Mainly because I feel detached from the general SCA community. There are no regular social events to laugh with friends over a beer at that include all comers. This random horsehockey going on for the past few years has made every host and hostess in this Kingdom, and outside, have to examine their invite lists for possible explosives in the mix. Talk about gun shy... It's just difficult for me to be inspired while watching perfectly capable people make a mess of things. So, I've been creating quietly in the background, with occasional forays onto the battlefield to be with the guys and enjoy my chosen sport. Frankly, I just want to relax and breathe, and the only places I've done this in the past year while at an SCA event were Estrella and Pennsic. Sadness, plain and simple.

Sure, other kingdoms have their issues as well, and I grew up speaking a different language entirely in my cold, Eastern hometown. But then I may not have met the very many wonderful people in my life had I not moved to San Diego when I did. Such a huge treature in my life, I am quite lucky. But since I have a few people who have inspired me lately and the time to create something, I may attempt to surprise them with a little token and an explanation. My nutty standards has made it hard for me to find inspiration at times, so without sounding egotistical, I'd like to tell these people what they mean to me. We forget sometimes that we affect others in dramatic ways, and I do feel it's important to reward the good. Sure, I'm a nobody, trundling along in my nobody SCA hobby. But I remember that before I left the East, someone told me how much it meant to them that I took time to help them along. It was touching, and sometimes those moments are worth the most.

So off I go, plotting in my little fashion, to attempt to bring something nice to the folks who've given me some hope in the game. It's a bit scarce at the moment, but somehow I've held onto it. Let's see if I can make it grow again.

No comments: