Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Winter-ish?

Well, I survived another Christmas with the family. Every year since I moved out here, I have to do the mental shift that is required to feel like it is Christmas. San Diego is not a winter wonderland by any stretch of the imagination, and while I adore all the sunshine, it makes for a lack when I want to see snow and make snow angels, then pile back inside for toasty warm hot cocoa around the fire. Heat exhaustion would set in if I tried that around here, not to mention the muddy angels and grass stains! And, alas, no fireplace in my little hobbit hole!

So each year I rejoice in the slightest chill in the evening air, enjoy the little tracings of frost when they venture out, and long for a close by spot to visit the snow. Julien sometimes has snow, but usually by the time they get the snow, close the roads, open the roads, and I get my butt up the mountain, the snow is gone. I think it would be a myth, except occasionally I see the little bits leftover melting quietly in the shade. *sigh* Who am I fooling - I don't own more than one pair of boots anymore! Most of my shoes are impractical little sandal things :-) Ugh, SoCal, you have altered me! I can't buy a pair of shoes anymore unless my little toes can peek out!

So while I'm forgetting the slush, the frozen door locks, the drips that get down the back of your neck, the crunch of a snowball to the face, frozen hair, salt on everything, cold feet, shoveling the driveway, I do honestly miss actual snow. But mostly I miss snow days and the other good stuff! Like snuggling inside... Mmm, yeah...

1 comment:

Melissa Hannon said...

You are not missing it here darling. It FINALLY snowed last night and its gone already. Green Christmas for us and well rain on Christmas is totally depressing.