Friday, December 22, 2006

Oh hooray, the holidays...

Well, last half day at work, then the weekend frenzy of the holiday thing, then back to work next week. I'm currently shoveling through just enough of the paper on my desk to get some of the important things done, yet leave something for next week's amusement when no one is here but basically me and a few die hard folks with die hard clients who just HAVE to close their deals by the end of the year.

Got the grade anticipation down to a dull roar and only checking the site 17 times per day for my last grade. Got the rest of my anticipation down to a tingly happiness and a comfort level in eating a donut. Still trying to convince myself that I should go to the gym before heading home today. The gym is still winning, mainly because I was huffing and puffing on the treadmill on Tuesday when I went. It would be a good thing, since I know I won't be back until next Tuesday at the earliest. A week without gym is not a good thing. Yoga is nice, but doesn't really count.

Then off to my sister's for holiday fun and a complete lack of privacy for 3 days. I'm sleeping on the couch, thanks to a currently singleton state and a distinct lack of guest rooms at my sis's. In theory, I could sleep in the office curled around the fax/printer/dishwasher thingie, but that would require effort in setting up something to sleep on around the piles of presents and random stuff stacked in there. I'm feeling like a guerilla Xmas this year - get in, get out, take only what you can carry.... But I'm looking forward to our traditional Polish Xmas eve dinner, both me cooking it and me eating it. Yummy, extra heavy peasant food! And it's always fun to watch my nephew do anything. I have a great picture of him trying to help my dad sweep. My dad would make a pile, and my nephew would scatter it everywhere again. It was hilarious!

But I've got some time tonight and tomorrow to kick out a few more projects, get my crap packed up, clean out some of the boxes and stuff in my kitchen, and go to the party tonight. I got a few things done last night, and pulled out a few things to work on at my sister's. I always seem to put off the hand finishing work as long as humanly possible, so I'm packing all of it up to plunk myself on the couch and actually sit and watch TV this weekend. Yeah, write it on your calendar, I know I am!

Hmm, should I feel bad for highly limiting my Xmas giving this year? I'm really not feeling that terrible about it. I got gifts for just those physically and emotionally really close to me. Really close. I'm giving out much less this year than I normally do, and just concentrating on seeing people and calling them to say hello. I'm slowly trying to step back from the Christian holidays - I'm not too keen on celebrating most of them. But Christmas is hard, partially because of the huge onslaught of forced hiliday cheer EVERYWHERE! But it's a family tradition, so I will always celebrate it on some level. So, instead I'm trying to give smaller gifts, give more happy thoughts, and make things for others instead of giving into the mall hunt for largesse. I've never been one for office gifts, nor even cards. Ever since the Politically Correct thing came along, it's just not right to me. I don't have a problem wishing someone a Merry Christmas or Happy Hanakah even though it's not my holiday. And they can wish me the same and it's about being nice, not incorrect. Eh. People stink sometimes. Stop trying so hard to be right and try to be nice instead. Big difference.

Hmm, can you tell I'm not that busy today and I'm just treading water until I can dash over to the gym?

Merry Christmas folks. Happy Hanakah, too. Or whatever you celebrate, may it be wonderful!

No comments: