Monday, December 11, 2006

Those wonderful movies...

LOTR was on last night - The Two Towers. It's probably my favorite of the series. Why? Because it's the one where you're not sure if good will win out. It's (to me) the one that challenges the characters the most to simply set aside their disbelief and rely on hope. Sure, you could argue that The Return of the King is more so, but I just adore the smaller scope of the Battle at Helm's Deep more. It's more personal. More desperate. There's no massive city/fortress, just this relatively smaller, ancient bastion set into the rocks of the mountain. I love the rain of the battle, the appearance of the elves at the door, the close up and personal shots of the fighting, and the appearance of Gandalf at the end. This one isn't won by spirits - it's won by people.

And oh, the images! And the feelings they stir! I still adore the interactions between Arwen and Aragorn the most in this one. The dreaming and waking. Their brief moments together. His fall into the river and his return to Helm's Deep. Great stuff - gets me every time.

And this is the only movie where they really interact with the people of Middle Earth. The trip to Helm's Deep is neat - ambush by wargs and all!

So yeah, it's my favorite. And I'll change my mind again tomorrow. I love images that stir up my creativity and inspire me to bring a bit more of that magic to my universe. And hope. Hope is good.

No comments: