Monday, December 18, 2006

How not to give advice....

Hmm, I got faced with an issue that anyone who knows me will understand what a problem it is. A former friend was asking around for advice in a situation I'm very knowledgable and skilled about - lots of personal experience. However, as much as I will drop the universe, rearrange the tides, and scramble the stealth bombers for my friends, I can't consider this person a friend. Past experience has shown me that I will get burned, and it's generally not worth it. So I'm stuffing a sock in it, whistling dixie and walking away from the situation with a "oh gee, can't help you there."

Ugh, I'm terrible at doing this. I *like* helping folks out, it's another good reason for me to become a big bad lawyer. Advice is just one of those things that if I have a good tip, I pass it on. But, perhaps I'm maturing and mellowing. Sure, I'll help if asked. But given the past situations, I'm just not sticking my neck out there for just anyone anymore. It's certainly a more realistic approach. And I'm much more comfortable with only giving advice to folks I know. I hear a lot of stupid stories about people doing ridiculous things based on what they thought they heard.

But it's sad in a way that now I do want to limit my advice. Do I trust people? Some of them, but I'm not even interested in knowing everyone. I certainly have hit my quota of saving lost puppies in my lifetime. I'm kinda done with project people. If you haven't figured out by the time you're 30, you might want to buy a clue and dig into that American dream thing. Hard work does pay off, so does getting a career of sorts, not spending more than you earn, and finding someone non-psycho to be with. I'm big on all of those. But note that there is no saving the world on the list.

So yeah, despite my yammerings about being a super hero, I'd really just perfer to be myself. Although looking good in spandex will always be a value of mine :-) I'm not a hero, but I play one in the courtroom....

No comments: