Tuesday, September 26, 2006

So, I'm still here. Back to contempation....

Yup, I'm slowly kicking this nasty cough and sinus thing out of my system. Bad news is that the man might have it now. *sigh* hooray for contagions! If it is just a sinus thing, I shouldn't be contagious... So it might be from one of his students as well. But then again, I'm pretty sure he doesn't kiss any of them.. blah. Yup, probably my fault....Sorry baby!

Goodness, I have got to start writing down those random blog topics! I usually think of them while in meetings. Ugh, meetings.. But they are a nice break from paperwork.

Started reading Smashed last night - it's a woman's account of her alcohol use and abuse since she was 13 or so? Fascinating crap. No clue if she's right, but she might have put her finger on why I have issues relating to lots of people my age and younger. She basically ponders early in the book about how alcohol use affects her emotional development in her teens and early 20s. How she didn't have memories of her first kiss, prom, first checking account experience, and how she's viewed as much younger than she is usually. Wow. And based on how many people I know who had similar habits (drinking to drunk more than once or twice per week, or more than 10 times in a month), I'm in the minority. I didn't really start drinking until almost my 20s. Sure, my first drink was a glass of champagne when I was 12, but I hated it. It was weird, and not terribly pleasant. So I was never a drinker until law school. Sure I got drunk in college, but not regularly. Geekdom alert - I was too busy playing role playing games and beating people with padded weapons.. Yeah, geekdom.

But there is a huge difference in relating to some folks that I've always noticed. I tend to have to dumb down my approach, stick to completely white bread Middle America mainstream, and not talk too fast. No jokes, those fall flat. Hi. Nice to meet you. Nice weather were having. But add in a few drinks and someinane conversation and suddenly we're best friends. Or at least they think so. Weird. My sister's friends are like this. We don't mesh in the slightest, but she swears they're the most wonderful people. Most of them I find to be about as complex as my nephew's toys - lots of bright colors, but no real challenge. They don't read books for fun, their idea of research is watching a Discovery channel program, and are pretty happy just soaking up the happy American day to day routine...

Are these folks who grew up on alcohol? Hid with their friends and drank their way through high school? Experimented behind the football stadium? I dunno for sure, but it does make me wonder. Especially with my lack of alcohol through most of my youth. We'll see, but it does pose an interesting question for emotional and mental development and the effects of alcohol.

No comments: