Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Ode to my honey...

Well, I had a moment of realizing how fabulous my man is, so in the spirit of blatant self reflection in public forums, I hereby inflict it upon you. If you threw yourself bodily at me in the past few years and I didn't catch, pay attention. It's probably because you missed one of these. Work on them for the sake of womankind. As for you, my man, I think this is relevant enough for the rest of the universe as well as you :-) My apologies for the overly public stuff.

1. He does what he says he's going to do. Eureka! What a concept! I can get a statement of what he intends to do, and with minor variations, he does it. Even if it has nothing at all to do with me, he's consistent. Ding Ding Ding! This point is missed consistently on surveys of comparable men of a similar age and geographic area. There will be a story about it in the next National Geographic...

2. He tells me basic, necessary information in response to a question. Yes, I want to join you for the penguin performance art expo this weekend. No, I don't like petrified walnuts. Yes, I'd like to see you tonight, but I'm in Swaziland, so you're out of luck. No, what you just said sucked, and I'm hurt by it... No drama, no inflections of what could be, no blank stares, no overwhelming agenda of need. Just useful info that makes it possible for two confused people to interact.

3. He has a life. Despite occasionally getting crap from the rest of you, he has a life. And he defends his time working on his life. Actual goals are in his plans, and they don't just revolve around what's for dinner! He's not interested, without really good inducement, in picking up his universe and changing it for one person. Damn. That's hot...

4. He's clever without being an ass or a wuss. Yes, this is possible - it's not a fairy tale. And he can tell me what he thinks without demeaning me in the process. He treats people with respect, even while telling them they're idiots and is willing to stick around to discuss why he feels that way.

Gosh, I'm sure there's more here, but I do need to do work today.

No comments: