Friday, June 16, 2006

Pennsic Battles

Mass Battles - 8 points:
Town Battle
Allied Battle
Woods Battle (2 pts)
Field Battle (2 pts)
Broken Field Battle (2 pts)

Teehee – those are all the main battles we get to be part of at Pennsic. Not counting the special tourneys in the afternoons. I think I need to find the chicks tourney this year :-)

Fight fight fight!


Now, bear in mind that the battles at Pennsic are not the same as we do out here. Last year I had to laugh because Vlad was all ready for a full day of fighting, and the field battle was over in 3 tries. Now, they were shorter than normal due to some really crappy, unbalanced numbers. But the whole thing was over in less than 2 hours. Out here, two hours is a warm up battle :-)

The difference lies in the fighting. Things just move faster from what I remember. Your long res battle is only 90 minutes, not the 2-3 hour monster like we’ve done at Estrella. So units move much more quickly and decisively, charges happen fast, and I felt like I needed to be on my toes a bit more. Kinda like fighting with the Orkneys all the time!

Now, I felt doubly gypped last year because we marched across the field and presented our flank to 3 units just waiting to pounce on us! I was using sword and board and stood against their charge, but I got killed about 47 times due to the fact that I had no room to fall down, and none of them heard my “Good” screamed over and over. Bad game of wack a mole, but I bought time for Vlad to pick a bunch off with a spear. So 30 seconds into the battle, I trudged back to our staging point to wait for the next battle. The unit survived to do well, but me and another guy stood around feeling stupid for getting smoked as soon as the battle started. It was for a good cause, but not as much fun as it could have been.

So this year, I’m fighting with a range of folks. I’ll probably join Caid for a bit, go find my college buddies for some fun, and fight with Erwin’s crew again. We’ll see where I have the most fun, but I’m truly just looking forward to fighting alongside my friends and family from all over the country!

No comments: