Monday, April 09, 2007

Sometimes things are just good...

So, Portland. I was in Portland all weekend. It was lovely! First, I simply got to relax a bit. Not something I make a lot of time to do, and being able to not rush around and get things done was great! Even took a nap Friday afternoon - just posh!

Basically I went to get one last check of the area and see if I could handle living there. It was a classic Portland weather weekend - some sun, some drizzle, some clouds. But it was warmer than I expected, and I expect to need to wear a lot of layers for the first few years. My skin adored having actual humidity again. We tourned the town a bunch, and thanksfully A didn't kill me after the 47 gazillionth time he asked what I wanted to do, and I didn't have an answer. But I saw different neighborhoods, spent way too much money on fun things, and just came to the opinion that I would really like Portland.

We went to Lewis & Clark on Friday so I could check in with the Career Services office up there, called the sports agent guy, then to Oregon City (pub #1) and seeing the area. Stopped off for a tool about downtown, Irish lunch (pub #2) and Powell's books, where I did vast amounts of damage to their stock of medieval law books. Then back towards the airport for a nap. Saw B that night and went to Kennedy school(pub #3). Saturday we started with pub breakfast(pub #4) in Oregon City with J and G (nice folks, yay!), a browse around and area whose name I can't seem to pull out of my head at the moment but had a great music store and other cool shops, then off to Saturday market and met up with a bunch of folks. Much browsing (more damage, but new cotton bedsheet - yay!) and off to Crush (pub #5), which was closed, so off to Squeeze (pub #6) where we enjoyed a range of cocktails that were extra yum. Impromptu party at L's house was hatched, and I got to enjoy an evening with a bunch of folks and some fantabulous nachos! Sunday, we went back to pub #4 for breakfast, then over to pub #1 for an afternoon Guiness. Eventually though I had to bit ethe bullet and head to the airport.

I hated leaving. I like Portland a lot. It so did not harsh my groove. Good beer, less crowding, fewer overdressed/made up people. I have my ambition and all, but I don't need to wear it, thanks. And maybe I was just vastly more relaxed than usual, but everyone seemed so damn friendly! Then again, it also could have been that I spent the weekend with a happy gentle buzz and plenty of sleep for the first time in weeks.

Yeah, I'll be just fine up there...

No comments: