Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Ahh, yes. My mother...

Well, my mom sends me stuff like this and expects me to be happy to hear it:

"It is always good to see you, but you have to stop skipping around in life & realize your adults years are here right now. Keep a steady job & accumulate some capital for the future years.Pay down some of your college debt too. Plan on taking the Ca boards as that is where you went to law school."

Note that I'm 33, divorced, lived in 4 states or so, always have been employed except for right after 9/11, and never moved home ever again after college. Nor will I. And this is why. I'm perfectly capable of running my own damn life. Thanks for playing.

Mind you, my mother doesn't have a degree, has never been in a court as far as I can tell, and has no idea what a law degree entails. Or that the Bar exam is exclusive to each state. Sure, it's nice that my parents worry. But there's a point where I just want to scream, " I know what the fuck I'm doing - go away!" Sure, I'll take the California Bar. Great idea since I won't be living or working here. It'll do me a lot of good.

Funny part is that most parents would be thrilled to have an over-educated, reasonably stable daughter who's not taking drugs, didn't get pregnant in her teens, is relatively responsible, well respected by her peers and generally helps out when she can.

But I'm a bad person for flying home for the first time in over a year this summer because it's the last time for a while I think I'll be able to afford it. Yup. That's me.

Screw that - I'm coming home, I'm going to the Rush concert on July 4th, and I'm going to have a lovely time. With or without my stupid mom's comments.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with your mom. You should take the bar in Ca. Of course you would have to stay in Ca. and be my garb slave and make me garb for the rest of your natural life. Bwahahaha

E