Tuesday, January 09, 2007

The wheels on the bus go round and round....

It's official. I'm a hamster.

Why? you ask....

Because I do the same damn thing every day, despite having time off from school. I haven't posted any deep thoughts lately. I realized today, at the gym (running on my human sized hamster wheel), that my blogs are downright boring as of late. No drama! No chaotic weird stories! Yes folks, I'm pretty content. The holidays didn't do their normal tap dance on a land mine thing. My love life is calm. The SCA has stopped being more entertaining than a Mexican soap opera. School has been served a nice happy 4.0 to keep them quiet. I think my job is the only angst left, and frankly, I have no problem with being on unemployment. It would put a crimp in my style, but that's ok for a bit...

So I cruised on over to read the Luddite's latest columns at Wired.com (http://www.wired.com/news/columns/0,71379-0.html - there's one for good measure). I like his columns because he's one of the last folks to say it's ok to not buy into the overly materialistic, technological, non-personal interaction that has eaten the soul of our society. He's about the only media type to tell me it's ok not to want the latest designer hoo-ha out there, and it's ok to prefer to talk to people in person, face to face instead of constantly on the phone/email/text/tin cans and string. The older I get and the closer I get to being out of debt (except for my brains, they're quite dramatically in hock) the less I need crap. I'm not terribly impressed by expensive things. Sure, I still love flowers and jewelry. But more because of who gave them to me and what they represent to me. Please note that I rarely wear jewelry. I just haven't had anything I had to wear, other than my medic alert bracelet, since I got divorced. And flowers are just fleetingly glorious. I'd rather get what i have to work than acquire more crap. The Internet isn't helping either - I'm now comfortable not lugging an entire library around the universe. I'm down to 2.5 bookshelves.

But yeah. There's your deep thought. Impress me with who you are, not with what you own, can buy, drive, yadda yadda. I'm impressed by actions, thoughts, and your inner calm. Inner calm my socks off :-)

No comments: