Monday, October 09, 2006

Almost forgot - THE FABRIC DISTRICT!

Yup, I went back to Mecca while I was nearby. I needed to hit the fabric district to get the fabric for the dress for my brother's wedding. Since I hate shopping malls at the moment as everything seems to be made of thin stretch knit, I won't go shopping for a dress. Besides, the wedding is in DC in November. I can't wear some strappy little number without freezing my tookus off. So no CA style dresses.

My honey and I (have I mentioned that he's just fabulous yet?) parked and started the roam. One of the bargain stores had a nice black lace, so I scooped up some of that. Then the hunt for a good brownish-goldish satin began. The original idea was a cocktail dress with a goldeny color under-fabric and a black lace overlay. Somewhat inspired by that black lace cocktail dress from a few weeks ago on Project Runway, but an entirely different shape. And I look crappy in white, so no white. Orkney black and gold sounded doable, so the hunt began.

Well, everyone has that peachy tan color, but the golds were all schoolbus yellow or pumpkin orange. I wanted something somewhat subdued, as Washington DC is the fashion equivalent of a boring navy blue suit. Too bright a color, and I might not be allowed in public ;-) So we kept rummaging. Luckily, a few stores down I found a golden brown with a yellow/green undertone that worked with my skin. We held it up for some of our fellow shoppers and they said I'd look almost naked under the black lace. Umm, perfect?! I got a few yards and we emerged back into the sun to check the color properly. Yup, it looked great with my hair and skin tone. Whew! Biggest part done. Some black satin ribbon, and I'm done.

After giving up on a few stores, I got the ribbon at Levine's and found some fantastic funky furs as well. I'm going to throw some really neat stuff together to sell. I'll post it once it's up on eBay.
So yeah, good times hunting at ye olde fabric district. And since I had a man with me, no sneering, leers, or obnoxious looks from shopkeepers. All in all, a success!

No comments: