Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Closure

Funny thing about closure with people. It usually has the most to do with what we'll never get from them. Had a looooong conversation with a friend going through a messy quasi-breakup last night, and I so feel for her. While it's the healthy thing to do to walk away from a relationship that's brought her nothing but heartache and abuse, at the same time her heart wants to know that she's ok and did the right thing to give love. Oh the giving, it's all our little hearts want to do, eh? A bit of validation that it's ok to be vulnerable and try again.

Problem is that to go ask for what she needs to get closure, and she'll likely just get more of the same pain. Rarely are people adult enough to just say, "ok, it didn't work. I'm sorry for the hurtful things I said, and I value what you were willing to give to me. But it just isn't working and we should both move on to search for someone who can give the way you and I both need in our own ways." Yeah, that'll happen in the real world. And even if it does, no one ever believes us. Hurt has a funny way of coloring the world in a less agreeable light..

So here we are, discussing her hurt and trying to find a way to bring peace to her heart. If I could grant it with a few words, I would. But it's really more about time, acceptance, and having the courage to try again. And that's really all it is....

No comments: