Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Genius alert!

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/05/31/news/green.php

I love articles like this. Two people from seemingly unconnected disciplines working together to find a solution. It's just genius!

I'm one of those people who gets frustrated with interactions with strangers in impersonal environments, like airports and traffic. I like people, but I prefer to be properly introduced and get a chance to interact on a personal level before I'm trapped in a tiny seat next to them for a 6 hour plane ride. I like the choice of whether I have to interact with someone or not. Sure, there's plenty of fantastic people I'm sure I'll never meet. It's a big world, shit happens...

But they way they describe the better designs for movement in these public places, based on reference points, curved movement, the element of surprise, etc. was just poetic to me! It sounds exciting and interesting! I want to go see it now! And doesn't it just make sense?

Now, I've been one of those people who thinks on straight lines and sharp edges. Get to the point, don't waste my time, don't be wussy, watery, dreamy person. I know I trashed a few friendships out of sheer frustration of dealing with someone who couldn't even focus on putting creamer in their coffee consistently. Ugh! I had to learn how to express what I was feeling in something other than a snarl, gorgeously anal project that I'd never finish, or just taking charge so that finally something would get done. But I've softened up lately. Some might call it more devious, but I'm learning to relax and let the flow take me where it needs to go. Forcing things makes you end up stuck at the sides in all the crap. Who wants to be surrounded by the crap on the shore when you could be swept along in adventures and new opportunities?

But you need reference points to look at to keep things in focus. Just enough to steer by, not so much that you're locked into the dull drudgery of the sadder parts of life. Room for curves, but less attempts to bring everything to a screeching halt. Things to reach for, but not lose hope over. Yeah, let it be, baby!

So yeah, if it seems like I don't push things too hard at times, I am. Think of me like a duck. All serene on top, paddling like mad underneath! Sure, I could go out on a limb and throw caution to the winds and force things. But why? If things were meant to be, I can gently work towards them without lopping off the heads of 1,000 peasants and charge across Europe on a big white horse. Besides, I like peasants. They cook better.

Now, what was I talking about again?

No comments: