Monday, November 13, 2006

Khazak goodness!



This weekend, my honey and I went through some of the Balboa Park museums. This was especially cool because he remembered that I said I'd wanted to see the Khazak Nomad exhibit at the Mingei Museum. I completely forgot about it, but he in all his considerateness, remembered it. Yay!

And it was very cool! Limited number of items, but a decent array of textile arts and metalwork. There was also a verrrry cool reproduction of horse barding, complete with 3' horns on the bridle. Made the horse essentially look 8' tall! Very fierce, I can see why the Romans wet their pants when they saw that charging at them! I got the exhibit book, especially once I found it in softcover for $25. Lots of good basic pictures and motifs. I wish they had had a closeup of the tail cover on the horse barding. It had a really cool bit of leather applique on it that I wouldn't mind reproducing. Maybe I'll go back with a camera this time!

No comments: