Monday, November 06, 2006

Can't remember if I posted this one or not. But I like it...

“Most of these courses (get rich quick schemes) are so seductive, Farrell says, because they operate according to a tried-and-true principle of behavioral psychology called the variable ratio reinforcement schedule. Basically, people (and rats) will persist in doing something, even with little or no return, if they are given the tiniest bit of hope of a coming reward.”

Wow. I read that and suddenly so many things became clear about people. It pretty much sums up some people’s existence. They’ll hold onto some situation way beyond its usefulness in the dream of some higher reward. Wow. And the seduction factor is huge! I know a few people who have gotten sucked into the get rich quick, self-help, take a course and your life will change pattern. I watched a friend deep six his marriage because of his desire to just keep trying these things until he basically bankrupted himself on the rocks of self help gurus. He so wanted to find a fast way to make their financial situation better, that he ruined it on a more immediate time scale. Not much help, eh? You end up spending huge amounts of money and pretty much just get the satisfaction of saying you took all these courses. That and $3 will get you a cup of overpriced coffee!

And really, at the end of the day, that’s all any of this is. The satisfaction of living life as it is. Souvenirs, pictures, diplomas, degrees are only as good as what we do with them, or to remind us of the experience. Any of the material stuff, including the health of your body, can get sucked away in an instant. Placing your value on whether you achieve some lofty goal is only partially the picture. If you don’t enjoy the process of getting what you’re aiming for, was it really worth getting in the first place? Because really, all there is is this minute in time. You can’t count on there being too many more. Heck, I work in a high rise in earthquake country. While they say I’m pretty damn safe up here, I still believe that if a huge earthquake comes along, I’ll come a tumbling down just like everyone else.

Now, I believe in achieving goals and such as much as anyone else. But there’s a part of me that remembers kissing my grandmothers for the last time and the experience of gasping for air on a hospital gurney. In those moments, money and status didn’t matter. I couldn’t tell you what I was wearing or what car I was driving at the time. All that mattered was a chance to share experiences with the people I love and be an amusing footnote in a number of people’s lives. My memories are more important, and I can create more through getting out and trying stuff. What I’ve discovered lately is that it’s a matter of perspective. Sure, you can want things and try to get people to do things. There will be conflicts and hard stuff to deal with. But are you prolonging the pain and suffering by insisting on a certain goal while losing the enjoyment of living right now, is it worth it? Are you tormenting the people who care about you just to increase your perceived status in the world? Do you drive people away with your singular insistence that they conform to your world? Are you insisting on continuing one hobby or scheme or principle to the extent that you don't even know who you are or who you should be?

Some things, like dieting to improve your health, might be worth the bit of suffering to improve your quality of life and health. And there are ways to enjoy the experience, even while going through the hard parts. It’s all about paying attention. And getting reality checks on a regular basis…not just your reality, but everyone’s reality. The sky’s blue out there, open up and take a look.

No comments: