Tuesday, November 21, 2006

It's beginning to look a lot like.....

Yeah, Xmas. I have a love-hate relationship with Christmas. I love the atmosphere, the shopping, the wrapping presents, eggnog, Christmas trees, children all in anticipation, the Christmas specials. But I despise the sanctimonious religious preaching about how wonderful we should all be to each other while we're gorging ourselves on the materialistic stuff. The trying too hard to make everything perfect. And now we get two months of it since they start putting everything out after Halloween. Oh hooray...

But I will indulge and make presents for others and do the shopping. I just wish there was more of the fun, social stuff. Back east, we went caroling and to various holiday performances a lot. Out here I'm supplementing my holiday with Disney - I can get a full holiday dose of good cheer in one day of roaming around that place. But still not the same as having folks over for tree trimming while it snows like hell outside. Eh, nostalgia. Gets me every time. So I went and bought Bing Corsby's White Christmas. It's by far my favorite Christmas movie ever. Good pat on the back for our troops, really sweet musical numbers, the tomfoolery of old time movie plots, and just a fun little production. Nothing too fancy, but it's fulfilling like homemade chicken soup is.

No comments: