Friday, July 21, 2006

Pre-Comicon.... A fighter/geek chick's view

I am excited for Comicon this weekend. Sure, I missed the first two days due to actually maintaining my day job, but I'm good with just two days of fun. The first year I went was overload for going more than 2 days, and last year's 12 hour long day, including Masquerade, was also a bit much. What's the problem? Two things: Pacing and overload.

First, my purpose in being there is to promote the SCA. Granted, I find that sort of thing fun. I need to get a bit more practice on promoting myself and that sort of skillset before I hit interview season next year. And, believe me, most of us suck at talking to folks unless you have some sort of schpiel prepared. It amuses the heck out of me to listen to other folks talk about the SCA at Comicon until I realize I'm not much better. We're all just geeks, but the key is to find the geeks who want a chance to live the medieval stuff. We're usually not going to convert the hard-core console gamer into a heavy fighter unless he's got physical activity on his mind to begin with. And having a range of folks there increases the chance of finding someone they can connect with. That connection is key in any sort of recruiting. You can't convince someone who doesn't like you to give up their happy routine to hang out with your annoying butt. It's an uphill battle, but then they may come out just for the chance to kick your ass...

And then there's the fun of the actual fighting part of the demo. On concrete. In the summertime heat. Yeah. It's a special kind of baked which makes you feel old by the end of the day. Last year, I went home and fell down. Luckily I fell next to a bottle of water, and was able to hydrate myself by tipping the bottle towards my mouth while laying there. About 6000 mg of ibuprophen later, I crawled into bed. Fun, but hard on the body. Add in the fun of walking the floor between demos, and wow! All day on your feet, fighting melees, and smiling for the unarmored masses. It's fun, and rather goofy. And there's nowhere else we can march around in all that armor and not look ridiculous. Well, we still look ridiculous, but comparatively we're pretty tame at Comicon.

And the walking around the floor is especially entertaining. Notwithstanding the huge game, movie, and comic displays, there's a boatload of crap to look at! For the geeky crowd smelling like cheetos and ass (thanks Shroud), it's gotta be Mecca. A wonderful place to visit and pay homage to the creativity in the geekdom universe. And then they toss in scrawny little girls running around in bikinis to promote whatever, costumed characters and sets, and there's photo ops galore. I have a ton of fun as the chick in armor. Much different sorts of looks I get depending on whether I'm in armor or the belly dance stuff. Cheesecake or kick ass babe.. You decide :-) Mikie and Justin and I had fun stalking the Corvus guys last year, since they were constantly stopped for pictures. And then we ran off to get a photo with the Toxic Avenger. Much entertainment. Nothing like it, hence why I'm back yet again....

So yeah, in my 3rd year, I'm finally learning from years past and just doing what makes me happy, heading to legal seminars on Intellictual property in my armor, and bringing a sandwich so I don't have to pay $37 for a slice of pizza. Learning is good!

No comments: