Monday, July 24, 2006

Monday afternoon pondering...

I've had a few friends discontinue blogs because of the "blog-stalker syndrome". Basically what happens is that you write some stuff in your blog and suddenly everyone knows you. Or at least, they act like they do. They read every word you write, yet, barely if ever have interacted with you in person. And I'm sure the effect is compounded depending on how big your social interactions are. I've had random people do an "ah-ha! I've read your blog" when I've met them, but it really doesn't bug me that much. In reality, most of what's in my blogs isn't that unique to me. But some friends are really bugged by it.

Now, I suppose it is a bit creepy when someone starts talking to you about something you blogged recently. It gets even more amusing when they assume they know what they're talking about, yet don't seem to bother verifying if their assumptions are correct first. I've listened as someone has explained all the reasons why I'm right and wrong about something, only to stop them after that and simply state who or what the blog was actually about. Ahhh, communication.. Pesky thing requires both talking AND listening. And really effective communication involves knowing you might be assuming and then allowing room to compensate for it.

Granted, blogs in general are very new. Really they've only become popular in the last few years, and I suppose a whole new world of etiquitte has to grow around it. Is it polite to ask about a topic when you don't know anything about it? How about when you do know about it? How about when you're offended/upset/shocked about the situation? Are you sure the blog refers to what you think it does? And when is it ok to refer to your online stalking to the author of the missives?

Personally, I'm pretty open about this stuff. If I publish it on a website, I probably couldn't care less if it were broadcast on the evening news. I'd prefer it weren't, and usually these are rather boring, but I know what I prefer to be private about and what I don't. I'm ok with random people approaching me about things.

Just don't assume you know what you're talking about...

1 comment:

John Hulsey said...

Oh, I know exactly what you are saying. This post is about me. You are talking about how I sometimes have people read my blog and they think they know me and... and...

What? It isn't about me? I have it all wrong? Oh. Never mind.