Monday, April 24, 2006

More Sleep Please

Had a great weekend, despite some major physical pain. SF was gorgeous, not raining finally, and much fun. T is such a joy, and I’m so glad to see her happy in her home and career. Her friends were so wonderfully welcoming and a boatload of fun to be around. T and I had the world’s best Thai food on Saturday, and then tooled around some of the neighborhoods soaking in the atmosphere. Boy, if CA is full of freaks and crazy people, there’s definitely a concentration of such in SF! Whew! Not sure I can handle that special mix of crazy+traffic+activism+loopy fruity goodness. It was a bit much at times. But I did appreciate the city – it is gorgeous, and those folks are active! Dinner party was wonderful Saturday night, then Sunday I was back on the plane and back to sunny SD. Much fun, and it was good to finally see SF instead of just going up for an event.

Unfortunately, it seems I barely slept due to my midsection cramping horridly all weekend. I crawled home and went to bed. Now, I have a pretty high pain threshold. If I actually notice being in pain that’s not acute and caused by some immediate issue, I usually don’t notice it until I notice that I’m pissy. If I’m pissy and crabby, it’s usually because I’m in some acute physical pain that’s not going away by itself. If I think about it, my ankle still hurts, but for the most part I know it’s ok, and it’s just that healing sort of pain. My middle was different. I lived on ibuprophen and alcohol all weekend. Not a good mix for my innards. I’d gone to the doctor last week to get the one medication I am on adjusted. Long story short, I was treated by an intern and ended up in pain and back on my old meds because of it. Not ok.

Negotiations are ongoing with the doc, but now I’m exhausted. I can function, but it’s interrupting my sleep now. Spiffy. And I’m eating those little orange ibuprophen pills every 4 hours just to keep going. So I’m probably dumping all the medication, it’s not critical for my health and it’s making me fatter. Better than being in pain, and I’m just sick and tired of the side effects. I’ll sit down with the doc and inform them of my choices later in the week. Things should calm down by themselves, and I’m going through all my usual mind-body exercises to get things back to normal. But sleep is the one critical element in my universe. Without sleep, I don’t heal, think, or function normally. So I’ll be taking it easy this week, getting my exam stuff ready, and just concentrating on what’s good for me.

I’ll be dancing Wednesday at Ali Baba’s with Al Samoud! Wish me luck, I should be better by then!

No comments: