Thursday, April 20, 2006

Better without the blockage

Well, there's a certain amusement in moving one's blog. Folks get kinda used to seeing things in certain places and then I go and screw with it all. Well, let's just say I'm paring things down a bit.

So I went strolling through the Internet looking for advice for law students working their way through school, older students with prior work experience, etc. There ain't much folks. Kinda sad. That's the group of students that easily has the most experience, the most workplace skills, and a more realistic view of what's expected when they emerge from law school with a shiny new degree. And from my personal experience, they tend to have average grades, little time to do internships and networking opportunities, and not a lot of help in that job placement department. And no one is really available to say "Gee, have you packaged yourself up as the new legal guru in this field?"

Let's be serious folks: Mommy and Daddy aren't subsidizing my weekends. The money I spend, I work for at a relatively low paying job(compared to what I could get before I went to school). Why? Because I can't work the hours I used to. I can't be available for travel. I can't just stay late and think about stuff once I leave here. In theory, school is supposed to improve my earnings, right? That would be fabulous, as after all of these gov't loans, I'll need help. Not as much help as my classmates going full time on borrowed money, but then I can't get private loans. That's both a blessing and a curse.

And I did try the Career Services route. Those folks mean well, but the advice is rather generic. Shotgun resume and letter blasts aren't exactly fruitful here. I've applied for something ridiculous like 50-100 internships. Haven't gotten one yet. Would be nice if I knew why, but if I hear "you're overqualified" one more time, I may end up shovelling laundry in an orange jumpsuit next to my girlfriend Marge. I'm not a cookie cutter sorority girl, giggling through my cheap beer and flirting with the USD law students who will be many of our bosses someday. Frankly, I've got the skills to surpass most of them, and the nutty track record to stand on. But I'm sick of being the "gee, not quite what we're looking for" girl.

So if anyone has any brilliant ideas, I'm just a bit discouraged. I'm really sick of hearing how fabulous I am. Yes, I have a shitload of interesting experiences. That and $3 will get me another crappy assistant job once I'm out of here. I'd rather be an Associate than and Assistant, thanks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah Sammy - you're fabulous and you know it . . . I have no real advice other than that . . . i'm lost in my life too :) Love ya lots and see you tomorrow night?

Manly Chef said...

Hmm...this blog is missing something.

SSSSSSSSAAMMMMMMMMYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

There that's better *grin*