Thursday, November 01, 2007

And Trust, while I'm at it. On the very personal level...

Yup, that T-word. Haven't been a big fan lately, I've been doling it out sparingly. Why? Because I used to trust as the default and get disappointed a lot. I assumed people had a general level of basic social respect for people and their boundaries when in social situations. You know what I mean, it's called manners, tact, social grace. That basic "social grease" that gets us through most situations.

Perhaps it's because I'm from the NorthEast, where having a bit of room between people is an accepted social need. You don't assume you know anyone because you met them once, hung out for an hour, shared a drink, read their blog, whatever. You take your interaction with them as one bit of time spent for what it is - a brief look at that person in that moment. Give them room to show you who they are instead of cramming them into whatever social label you think fits. Give them a chance to actually get to know what's underneath instead of assuming that they're just and therefore shallow as a Phoenix rain puddle...

Now, there's something to be said for hitting it off with someone. Someone who just gets under your skin in a good way. You talk forever easily, relate, connect, and just grok each other. Usually it's just a pile of shared values and ways of expressing things. It's been a while, but yeah, when it's just that kind of thing, it's a huge relief. Someone who just connects with you, who you trust, who just gets it. I've got a bunch of those people in my life. One brand new person who knocks my socks off completely. Some folks earned it through action, some just showed up and surprised the hell out of me. Some folks have lost that, but still stay on my good people list. But I have to say that it is a huge relief to have these people in my life.

It's good to trust. I need to repeat that to myself. No chick is an island, or something like that. Battles are easier if you're not your own, one person army. And parties are more fun with others to attend. It's sooo tempting for me, lone wolf that I've been becoming, to wall up and hide out and wait to see if the weather will pass. It won't, it never does. Shit flies, despite all laws of physics. Monkeys like to throw it. Better to have people you trust to help in the shitstorm and shovel out when you get a break. Breathe, accept, relax. And trust...

No comments: